This compact and powerful light from Fenix is designed for a wide variety of applications. It is a perfect choice for outdoors use even in cold and wet conditions. With two flashing modes and four brightness levels, Fenix PD31 can run up to 200 hours on two 3V lithium batteries. Made of aircraft-grade aluminum with anti-abrasive finish, this is one of the toughest, most versatile flashlights on the market.
Key Features of Fenix PD31
- Stable brightness due to a digitally regulated circuit.
- Protection against improper battery installation by utilizing reverse polarity protection.
- Has four brightness levels.
- Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum.
- Hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish. (Type III Hard anodized finish).
- Water and shock resistant.
The Fenix PD31 is a compact, versatile, very bright outdoor flashlight with very nice build quality. It produces up to a 304 lumen light with a 140 meter throw.
Fenix PD31 Specifications:
- It is 4.72 inches long with a .94 inch diameter and weighs only 3.3 ounces with the batteries.
- The flashlight is impact resistant to 1.5 meters and waterproof to 2 meters underwater (IPX-8 standard).
- The body has rhombus knurling to provide an excellent grip.
- The tail button is recessed so that the flashlight can stand on its tail.
- It has a stainless-steel pocket clip that rotates around the body.
- The head has six flat sides that keep the flashlight from rolling when placed on its side.
- The front of the head has a slightly crenelated bezel that allows you to see if the light is on when placed standing up on its head.
- The lens is ultra-clear and has an anodized finish with a anti reflective coating This anodized finish makes the lens difficult to scratch.
The flashlight uses two 3V Lithium CR123A batteries or one rechargeable Li-ion 18650 battery.
- The lamp is the CREE XP-G R5 LED with reverse polarity protection in the circuitry so you don’t accidentally fry the lamp by putting the batteries in backwards. The lamp also has a digitally regulated output that provides a constant level of brightness. Lifespan of the lamp is estimated to be 50,000 hrs.
- Accessories: A black Velcro holster with a belt loop, 2 spare O-rings, a stainless steel clip, a lanyard, and a spare rubber switch boot
Different Modes of the PD31
The Fenix PD31 has two different modes, General mode, and Turbo mode; you switch between the modes by turning the head just a little bit.
- Low (2 Lumens, 200 hr)
- Mid (67 Lumens, 16 hr)
- High (124 Lumens, 8 hr 16 min)
- SOS (124 Lumens)
You get to the different levels in each mode by soft pressing the tail cap switch. The brightness makes a change only when you release the button, not when it is being pressed.
- Turbo (304 Lumens, 2 hr 15 min)
- Strobe (304 Lumens)
Who Would Buy The Fenix PD31?
- Outdoorsmen. Those shopping for a rugged, super bright, outdoor flashlight that is full of rich features will be delighted.
- Anyone needing a good EDC (everyday carry) light.
- Survivalists and preppers. The flashlight is a perfect choice for those wanting a survival flashlight that has a SOS mode built in.
- Police and Military personnel. Keep in mind that this is not a tactical flashlight so don’t choose this one if you might use it to beat on someones head or to break a windshield.
Fenix is a company that exemplifies everything that is good about the flashlight industry. Their innovative, performance driven products use advanced technology to produce some of the most efficient, practical, and highly reliable flashlights on the market. I consider the Fenix PD31 to be one of their best flashlights yet.
Fenix Flashlights: Efficient, Practical, and Reliable
The Fenix PD31 is efficient. One of the most important aspects of flashlights is the output. The PD31 has regulated circuitry that keeps the output of the light constant. “Normal” everyday flashlights get dimmer as the flashlight batteries discharge.
The PD31 is a practical, versatile flashlight that can be used for almost any use. It has several different brightness settings that give it a lot of versatility. The flashlight also makes use of a good compromise between throw and flood. You will find the light is just as useful when hiking or mountain biking as it is as an EDC flashlight.
The flashlight is also very durable and reliable. The eletrical circuit (known as the driver) uses high quality components that are incorporated in a design that ensures toughness. The CREE XP-G R5 LED lamp that is used is is also tough. Fenix estimates 50,000 hours of life from the bulb. These qualities coupled with the shock and water resistant hard-anodized aircraft aluminum body ensure reliability. You can expect years of faithful and reliable service from your PD31.
- Cost: This little flashlight has the features and is brighter than flashlights that cost much more. A comparable Surefire with only 200 lumen output can easily cost twice as much.
- Durability: Shock and water resistant.
- Intelligent circuitry: The driver has reverse polarity protection coupled with a digitally regulated output.
- Choice of batteries: The ability to use rechargeable Li-ion 18650 batteries is a nice touch. Those CR123A batteries can get a little costly if you use the flashlight a lot.
- Size: The size of the Fenix PD31 is almost perfect. It fits in the hand nicely but can still go into your pants pocket without being too bulky or causing discomfort.
- Ease of use: Easy to use UI (user interface). I think the UI is very intuitive and easy to use.
- Flexibility: Several different modes of operation.
- It is a little pricey for some people. On the other hand the Fenix PD31 should offer many years of service negating the need for a replacement flashlight. It is also much cheaper than similar high end flashlights.
- Some reviewers don’t like the UI. It is a little more tricky than a simple flashlight with just an on – off button switch but I find it easy to use and very intuitive.
What Customers are Saying:
The Fenix PD31 has an overall rating of 4.5 stars out of a possible 5 at the Amazon.com site. Here are excerpts of some of the reviews:
- “Absolutely outstanding! This light will turn night into day when you need it to, but has a low power mode that is very usable and makes your battery last a very very long time!” by Damien M. Gregory (Wappingers Falls, NY)
- “Versatile, Bright, Precisely Built and Great Size. I am very impressed with the PD31. It’s by no means cheap but if you’re the market for a higher end flashlight you will not be disappointed. ‘ by J Anderson from Austin Texas
- “Outstanding product, I do not normally review anything on line, but this was worth the time, VERY rarely do you get more than you pay for, however with this light I was like WHOA!!!!!” By Munker (Florida)
How Much Should You Expect to Pay for Fenix PD31?
The Fenix PD31 is priced between $65.00 — $85.00 at the Amazon.com site. The price includes shipping and handling.
Does the PD31 Include a Warranty?
Yes, the Fenix PD31 flashlight carries a limited lifetime repair warranty from the manufacturer.
We highly recommend the Fenix PD31 to anyone looking for a great survival or general EDC flashlight. It is versatile, durable, and loaded with features that set it apart from the crowd.
Click Here To Buy: Fenix PD31