Ka-Bar’s Becker BK2 survival knife is one of today’s most popular fixed blade knives. It is very popular with hikers, campers, and survivalists.
I’m going to present you with a detailed review of this Becker BK2 “Campanion” knife. You will find out about its general features and description as well as the pros and cons of using this particular knife. By the end of this review, you can make an informed decision as to whether this knife is for you or not.
Main Features of the Becker BK2
- Fixed blade design – The Becker BK2 knife is a medium-size, fixed-blade, drop point knife. It has a flat grind with a secondary bevel at a 20-degree angle which makes it suitable for skinning game and many other camp chores.
- Smooth-coated blade – The blade on the Ka-Bar Becker BK2 model is made of 1095 cro-van steel blade. This carbon steel knife is extra stout when applied to everyday camping and hunting activities.
- Grivory handle – The scales (handle) on the Becker BK2 survival knife is made of Grivory materials which provide the knife with a smooth and contoured grip that feels good in the hand. The knife is full tang with a lanyard hole and a hammer pommel on the end.
- Molded FRN sheath — The sheath is made of FRN (Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon) that is closely molded to the shape of the blade. The blade fits so snugly inside the sheath that there is no noise when the sheath is shaken. The ballistic nylon dangle loop is large enough to accommodate even the widest belts and allows the sheath to move out of the way when you crouch or sit down. If you don’t like dangle sheaths there are six
Here is an excellent video covering all of the features of the Becker BK2.
Description of the Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Knife
The blade on the Becker BK2 knife measures 5.5” long. Overall, it measures 10.5” long. The blade is .25” thick and the tang extends up to the end of the handle. This full tang feature makes the Becker BK2 knife extremely powerful and durable as well.
This is a general-purpose heavy-duty survival and hunting knife that can effectively chop and baton (split) wood easily. It can do just about any chore around a camp including prying apart joints and skinning game. Some may prefer a thinner more flexible blade for skinning, but this knife will get the job done just fine.
The Becker BK2 is made in the USA; expect to get a survival knife with high quality features. Designed to be a combination of a camp and survival knife, you can rely on this tool to chop, cut, and split branches and logs efficiently. It is versatile: you can take on the simple task of chopping vegetables for cooking by the campfire too.
Reasonably priced – You can get the Becker BK2 survival knife for between $60 — $100 on the Amazon.com site. Its beefy construction makes the knife well worth the money; other hunting knives with the same features and functionality are generally priced higher.
- Heavy-duty – The Becker BK2 is solidly built and can withstand all types of camp and survival chores. It is a very strong knife that can chop, baton, and pry open crates, boxes, etc. It looks and feels completely indestructible.
- Good looking – With its all-black subdued design, the Becker BK2 looks impressive and intimidating as well.
- Versatile – Because of its well-balanced weight, you can swing this knife like an axe (it functions like a little axe too) and pierce objects like a spear (take note of the drop-point shape at the tip of the knife).
- Some survivalists find the Becker BK2 to be a little on the heavy side. That is because this brute of a knife weighs in at one pound! That is on the heavy side for a survival knife and the minimalist will prefer a lighter blade.
- Some prefer a thinner blade to skin game and perform other slicing/cutting chores.
Does it Include a Warranty?
Yes. The Ka-Bar Becker BK2 model is backed by a limited lifetime warranty against any defects in materials and workmanship.
What Others are Saying
- “Great for handling just about anything you could ask from a solid everyday carry survival knife, including batoning wood.”
- “The BK2 is an absolute BEAST!”
- “This is just a beefy, brick of a knife. The spine of the blade is about three times thicker (and weighs three times as much) than a typical hunting / survival knife and it feels virtually indestructible.”
As you can see in this Becker BK2 review, this knife from Ka-Bar is really a hardworking survival tool. Here is our overall assessment of the Becker BK2 survival knife:
Value for money (Is it reasonably priced?) – 10 out of 10
Performance (How well does it work?) – 10 out of 10
Ease of use (Is it easy to handle and manipulate?) – 9 out of 10
Features (Is it multifunctional?) – 10 out of 10
With an overall rating of 9.75 out of a perfect 10, the Becker BK2 comes highly recommended. You can feel certain that you have a good survival knife with you if this knife is part of your gear. The knife is tough enough that it could still be used 100 years after purchase. The Becker BK2 is considered by some survivalists to be one of the best survival knives on the market. If for no other reason than a great price/performance ratio; I totally agree.
Image credit: giveawayboy